From: owner-ga@dnso.org [mailto:owner-ga@dnso.org]On Behalf Of Roberto
Gaetano
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2000 1:04 AM
To: ga@dnso.org
Cc: mcnulty@AZStarnet.com; weisberg@texoma.net
Subject: Purpose of the GA - Was: [ga] Time to put Baptista online Joe
Baptista's CENSORSHIPProtest post response...

weisberg@texoma.net wrote:

>Roberto Gaetano wrote:
>
>> Michael,
>>
>> I agree that we should have a moderated list.
>> The problem is the definition of a fair set of rules.
>
>What activities do we need to protect against and what rules are
capable of
>addressing those specific problems?

Eric,

IMHO, what we should find is a delicate balance between the right of
everybody to post and the right of everybody to have a mailing list that
 is focused on the purpose.

To the best of my knowledge, the purpose of the GA list is to discuss
about DN-related issues. This covers subjects like new gTLDs, as pointed
 out by Michael.

Many people have been turned out from the list because of the high noise
-to-signal ratio. In practice, this list is currently not discussing any
 DN-related issue, but taken as hostage by few people who flood it with
postings that are, in the best cases, unrelated to the subject of the
list, in the worst case offensive.

Therefore, this list has become useless, as other lists who were victim
of these attacks in the past.
This means simply that the discussion on the DNS (and specifically the
gTLDs) is made somewhere else, and a lot of individuals and expression
of small groups that have little time and little connectivity are
prevented from participating.

So, for the first part of your question the answer I have is to be
protected against all activities that are shifting the focus of the
discussion to other issues, for which a more appropriate and
specifically targeted list could be built.
As for the second part of your question, I do not have an answer.

Anybody else does?

Regards
Roberto