Re: [ga] Re: Free speech and GA

On 02-Jan-2000 Jeff Williams wrote:
>   Recently in Seattle, the WTO/WIPO found out how ignoring concerns
> can lead to civil unrest, and cause consequences that I am sure the WTO
> was not prepared for.  The DNSO and ICANN have now brought upon
> themselves similar such consequences, and they are growing in breadth
> and scope, justifiably or not.  This is of their (ICANN and the DNSO's)
> own doing.  It could have been avoided, but instead was purposefully
> effected.  And that is the shame I and many others, growing in number
> see...
>
> CENSORSHIP IN ANY OF IT'S FORMS IS WRONG!

This is not about censorship.  This is about someone standing in a meeting room
and making a public disturbance of themselves.  At that point, in ANY forum,
public or private, the person's right to participate would be restricted, if
not totally removed.

Calling this censorship is like saying that someone standing up during a movie
at a theater and deliving a speech against abortion is simply exercising their
free speech rights.  They broke the law by creating a public nuisance.

That is what happened here, and the DNSO has every right to act to remove those
who do so, provided they do so in a consistent and fair manner.  So far I have
seen them act with great caution, and only have great abuse have they taken the
extreme acts you are trying to characterize as censorship.

Don't like it, stop trying to be a disturbance.

It really is that simple.

--
William X. Walsh <william@dso.net>
DSo Networks  http://dso.net/