RE: [ga] More thoughts on the ID-by-check-cashing idea

Dear Ellen,

The whole problem of micro-payments is a serious eCommerce problem. Even in
the USA, one can not profitably charge much less than $20US for a
transaction. A large percentage of which is eaten by fixed size transaction
fees. The best is www.cardservice.com and www.cybersource.com. Even so, the
transaction processing fee makes a $4US payment a negative transaction. In
addition you have the [typically] 3% fee imposed on the merchant by the
credit card company.

Those advocating a $1US fee do not realize that, even in the USA, this could
cost many times that amount to process the transaction.

US Banks actually lose money on small checks, due to processing costs. They
often charge monthly fees to partially offset this cost. This cost was once
estimated at $25US per check, years ago. That estimate wouldn't be that far
off today.

Service firms get around this problem by aggregating micro-charges in 30 or
60 day periods. Alternatively, they make the customer establish a credit
account with an upfront payment and draw from that as needed. Those selling
goods, make sure that the good have a sufficiently high value that the
transaction costs are less than 5% of the COGS.