Re: [ga] We must move the DNSO server out of France.(was: Proof of Identification)

 In your previous mail you wrote:

	 The problem with implementing PKI and web-of-trust is that France is one of
	 the few countries that do NOT allow their citizenry full access to
	 encryption technologies. Having the main DNSO server in France and having it
	 administered by a french citizen prevents us all from using this technology,
	 by fiat.

	 Yes, recent changes in French encryption laws appear to make it easier, but
	 what is allowed is crackable in 12 hours and one still must have a permit.
	 This is tantamount to nothing more than simple lip-service, by the French
	 government.

	 If we are going to go down this path, we must move the DNSO server out of
	 France. Until we do so, the obvious solution cannot be implemented. That
	 this would also disenfranchise French citizens is of minor moment,
	 considering the negative impact of not doing so. Maybe the French government
	 should modify its stance further, as it is already disenfranchising itself
	 from much of the eCommerce activity, due to its encryption policies. It
	 should now feel the pain of disenfranchising itself from Internet
	 organizational activity.

	 I have nothing personal against Elisabeth.She is doing a fine job, IMHO. But
	 her country's policies are a major hurdle in our self-organizing efforts. We
	 must be able to certify individuals and I do not see a means to do this
	 without strong encryption technologies.

	 Those whom live in France, or under French law, should probably present
	 their objections to their governmental officials and policy-makers, as
	 should those who live in similarly repressive regimes.

Sorry, you are wrong, french encrytion laws have changed, we are now allowed to use
full access to encrytion technologies (SCSSI declaration).
---
        Annie Renard    [nic@nic.fr]
        AFNIC/NIC France
	c/o INRIA domaine de Voluceau BP105, 78153 Le Chesnay CEDEX, France
	http://www.nic.fr/
	Personal Email: Annie.Renard@nic.fr