Re: [ga] Proof of Identification

On 07-Dec-99 Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
> At 13:26 06.12.99 -0800, William X. Walsh wrote:
>
>>On 06-Dec-99 Mark C. Langston wrote:
>> > Perhaps if we were to require a nominal, even nonsensical fee,
>> > which must be submitted by personal check (or local equivalent).
>> > I write out a check for US$1.00, sign it, write my e-mail address
>> > on it, and mail it off.  This would allow us to use another agency's
>> > normal function as an identity validation, and while it wouldn't
>> > eliminate multiple-personality types, it would make their
>> > participation significantly more difficult.
>>
>>That works fine for most countries, but not for all.  Many have strange
>>banking laws (including India) that could make this difficult,
>>expensive,
>>or impossible for some.
>
> The fee for cashing an US check in a Norwegian bank is around USD 8.
> I've got no reason to believe the fee in the other direction is smaller.

You clearly have no experience dealing with commerce from many other
countries.  And your expense at cashing it isn't the expense I was
discussing.  It was the expense in some countries to even GET a check in
US dollars.  Some countries have banking laws that make it difficult
and/or expensive to send currency to foreign countries.  Perhaps if you
don't have much experience in this are, you should refrain from making
comment.

--
William X. Walsh - DSo Internet Services
Email: william@dso.net  Fax:(209) 671-7934