Re: [ga] Proof of Identification

At 12:33 PM -0800 12/6/99, Mark C. Langston wrote:

>Perhaps if we were to require a nominal, even nonsensical fee,
>which must be submitted by personal check (or local equivalent).
>I write out a check for US$1.00, sign it, write my e-mail address
>on it, and mail it off.  This would allow us to use another agency's
>normal function as an identity validation, and while it wouldn't
>eliminate multiple-personality types, it would make their
>participation significantly more difficult.

FWIW, public access nyx.net had a pile of problems with fake people
at one point including the well known Kevin Mitnick.

After trial and error, their current vetting process for membership
is now either a driver's license presented to a designated individual
in person, a check drawn on a bank for any amount, or notarized
forms. This seemed to solve their ID problem as there have been no
apparent problems for years.

Unfortunately the check option at nyx only works for checks on US
banks. I was fortunate to have a US bank account even though I am in
Canada. But perhaps the idea could be extended to other countries.

The notary process is cumbersome and in some countries, impractical
due to the cost according to some postings at nyx that I have read.

Cheers,

Darrell

--
Darrell Greenwood           mailto:Darrell_Greenwood@mindlink.net