Re: [ga] Result of PGP key experiment

> On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
>
> > Both Jeff Williams and David Jenson declined to submit their keys, despite
> > being directly asked to do so.
> >
> > I guess this is proof enough that PGP keys are not a terribly useful means
> > of identification in the DNSO GA context.
>
> I don't know, the refusal of obvious frauds to provide keys should offer
> some indication as to their usefulness.
>
> Further, because they are not widely adopted, doesn't make them any less
> useful. Perhaps were the GA membership to adopt them as a requirement for
> membership they would prove far more useful in creating the "web of
> trust" necessary to proceed. I don't think this would be a particularly
> onerous requirement given the free availablity of PGP software.
> Personally, I would be quite happy to use PGP keys, however in all my
> years on the net, I have never had the need to, so I haven't bothered to
> use them. I imagine there are a lot of folks out there that haven't
> either.
>
> Thoughts?

Well Patrick, in my years on the the net I have tried to get clients to use
them (can you hear the sound of resounding failure in the background or should
I turn down the music?).

But like you I would be happy to use PGP keys (Now if only I could remember
where I put mine...)

Dan Steinberg
Synthesis: Law &
Technology

This message was sent using Travel-Net Web Mail.
http://www.travel-net.com/