Re: [ga] Sims' legal advice to the NC/Process predetermination

Mark C. Langston, quoting Joe Sims, wrote:
> "Since the GA Chair is an arm of the NC used to carry out the NC's
> management responsibilities with respect to the GA, it is not correct
> to view this process as being required to be either truly electoral or
> representative."

The key word there is "required," which suggests to me that counsel was
simply presenting the range of options. Just because it would be possible,
based on a plain reading of the bylaws, to appoint a NC Chair who did not
enjoy substantial GA support (or was not even a GA member), does not mean
that it would be prudent. The NC's job is take counsel's advice on the
possible and do what it thinks is prudent.

I fully expect that the NC will give great (even dispositive) weight to
reasoned, documented recommendations and nominations of the GA.

     -- Bret