Re: [ga] How hard should it be to get a domain registered? At whatpoint does a ccTLD manager become guilty of abusive behavior?

On Sat, 13 Nov 1999, Dave Crocker wrote:

> At 09:44 PM 11/13/1999 , vany@sdnp.org.pa wrote:
> >I would like to ask to Randy Bush what are the technical reasons why he
> >requires all those conditions fullfilled in order to delegate a domain.In
>
> 1. Pre-installation of the entries avoids lame delegations and the problems
> they cause.

Note this is not an unusual requirement, .nz requires the same thing. The
registration process even automatically checks for proper authorative
zones on the name(d) servers. It never sees human eyes :)

> 2. Independent access paths to independent copies of the entries avoids
> outages.

However, I am not famillar with any registry which requires seperate
paths to DNS servers. I'm not saying it isn't a good idea nor that RFC2182
doesn't provide a good rationale, but the question is at what point is the
registry overstepping it's responsibility.

I liken it to ISPs filtering traffic to their customers. Sure, there's a
good argument for it, but isn't that stepping into something that the
ISP doesn't have clear responsiblity for?

To put it another way, how many safety notices to we need before we let
stupid people mess up their systems? :)

--
David Zanetti    <dave2@earthling.net> <david.zanetti@wcc.govt.nz>
Unix Systems Administrator and Postmaster, Wellington City Council