Re: [ga] nomination procedures

--On Monday, 15 November, 1999 10:43 -0800 Christopher Ambler
<cambler@iodesign.com> wrote:

> There is a motion on the floor, which has been seconded, that
> the GA nominate one and only one candidate. I believe that your
> remarks are out of order.
>
> No further discussion appearing, I call the question.

Christopher, call it all you like.  Indeed, call it _anything_
you like.   Even if one thinks such rules are applicable and
efficient for this type of discussion (I don't),  under any
parliamentary system of which I'm aware, a call for the question
is just a mechanism for determining whether there is further
debate or discussion pending (including potential amendments,
motions of higher precedence, etc.) or whether people are ready
to move to a vote.  (Otherwise, one would have the silly state
of two or three people being able to paralyze an organization by
repeatedly making motions. seconding them, calling the question
to cut off debate, and then forcing a vote.)

Discussion _is_ clearly still going on.  So the "call for the
question" just fails.    Whether or not debate can be cut off
before it runs its course depends on the rules of the Assembly
(and I don't see any such rules in the GA) and, when permitted,
always requires a supermajority.

       john

"The motion to Adjourn is always in order"