[ga] Will we chase rabbits or ideas?

Kent Crispin wrote:

     > What many knee-jerk fanatic free speech advocates forget

This comment illustrates the problem with civility rules.  We all
have different levels of sensitivity and different styles of
communication.  Some people will complain that such sarcasm is
offensive, inappropriate and requires sanction.  Who wants to spend
their(our) time discussing whether particular
comments are out of order?  Isn't that where we are going?

       > noise can cause actual damage.  I can't put a
     megaphone to your ear
       > and shout, blowing out your eardrum, and claim that it
     is my free
       > speech right.

No.  That is an "assault" if not a "battery," crimes in all
jurisdictions.  But, in the U.S.,  there is a presumption that any
limitation on speech is improper.  Only the minimum regulation
necessary to accomplish a clearly identified and proper objective is
allowed, especially in political contexts.

       >Overuse of bandwidth is an infringement of OTHERS free
     speech rights.

This is a slightly different issue.  It is possible to set
reasonable, objective and content free standards for
"overuse," such as X posts or Y words/day.

       >...Breaking rules of etiquette that causes others to
     leave the
       >discussion is an abuse of THEIR free speech rights.

Perhaps.  But, the perameters tend to be subjective and hard to
apply in most cases.  On balance, I prefer filtering.