Re: [ga] Privacy and Whois databases

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Peter Veeck wrote:

> Question:
>
> If you trademark it can anyone else use it?
>
> Peter Veeck

Excuse me. but isnt that a silly question ?
Even if you have a trademark, say trademark.com, and you
dont pay your fee to NSI, your DOMAIN will disappear.

Or, have I misunderstood something ?

Regards
Per Koelle

PS.
I have heard rumors of co.za being trademarked.
Does that men that South Africa is banned from registering under
that domain ?
I guess not !

> Per Koelle wrote:
>
> > Hi everybody.
> >
> > Please....
> > Dont use the word "owner" of a domain !
> > The fact is, that you dont "own" anything, but the right to
> > use a certain domain.
> > IF you were "owner" of a domain, then nobody could take it
> > away, just because you didnt pay some fee to the registry.
> > You could at the most be "sat on hold", BUT NOT removed.
> > I think, that the word "holder" is a much more precice word.
> >
> > Regards
> > Per Koelle
> > DK Hostmaster
> >
> > On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Annie Renard wrote:
> >

> > >  In your previous mail you wrote:
> > >
> > >            The dot.god and dot.satan top level domains will both support
> > >            anonymous registrations.
> > >
> > >        I'm not familiar with dot.god and dot.satan and some web searches turn
> > >       ed
> > >        up nothing.  Could you elucidate please?
> > >
> > >            Any addressing information is between the
> > >            registrar and the domain holder, and not the business of anyone el
> > >       se.
> > >
> > >        May I ask on what basis you make this statement?
> > >
> > >        The agreement that registrars make with ICANN
> > >           http://www.icann.org/nsi/icann-raa-28sept99.htm
> > >        says in Part F, Public Access to Data on SLD Registrations
> > >        that the `name and postal address of the SLD holder' must be listed/ma
> > >       de
> > >        available in whois.   Admittedly `holder' is somewhat vague and you
> > >        might be able to argue that this could be the registrar or some agent
> > >        registration, on behalf of the person/organization who actually reques
> > >       ted
> > >        the domain name and will own it.
> > >
> > > no, the SLD holder MUST be the registrant (admin contact in the organization
> > > requesting the domain name) which own the domain name, not the registrar.
> > > There are many problems with some registrars which "keep" the registered
> > > domaine name and the registrant have big difficulties to delegate its
> > > domain name to another registrar.
> > >
> > >        I hope so.  I'd very much prefer to not list the domain name owner
> > >        contact information, and am searching for arguments to help our legal
> > >        folks buy into the idea.
> > >
> > > in the WHOIS database we need "professional" information of the
> > > administrative contact in its organisation, not some "private" information.
> > >
> > > ---
> > >         Annie Renard    [nic@nic.fr]
> > >         AFNIC/NIC France
> > >       c/o INRIA domaine de Voluceau BP105, 78153 Le Chesnay CEDEX, France
> > >       http://www.nic.fr/
> > >       Personal Email: Annie.Renard@nic.fr

Mvh.
Per Koelle