Re: [ga] Privacy and Whois databases

At 02:23 PM 10/15/99 , Martin B. Schwimmer wrote:
>I respectfully disagree and remind Bill that there are non-trademark issues
>involved every so often.  How about mere consumer protection?  Certainly in
>the commercial sphere the identity of a merchant should not be anonymous
>and there are strong policy arguments for full disclosure.  If someone has
>to contact a registrar each time they want to verify the identity of a
>vendor on the web (and "justify" a valid need), it would have a chilling
>effect on ecommerce.  And the registrars don't want to field these calls,
>right?

Hi Marty,

There are alternatives to the problems you raise that
don't require access to a domain name registration records
and are more constitutionally and technically appropriate.
These include the use of certificates on the site, as well
as inclusion of information as resource records in the local
zone file.