[ga] Privacy and Whois databases

Hello;

For an interesting article on privacy issues related to the ICANN
requirement that all Whois contact information be made public, see

http://www.msnbc.com/news/322926.asp

I believe this is a very important issue for the domain name space. When
name registration systems were initially set up, domain name registrants
were generally not private persons. Now the majority of domain names being
registered are being done by private persons (perhaps for small companies,
but still by individuals).

This contact information should be private, I believe. If someone needs
contact imformation (for example, a trademakr attorney) about a domain name
holder, they should reveal what they need it for and who they are to the
registrar/registry before private information is given to them.

If they can not justify a valid need for this information, it should be
witheld.

What does the rest of the DNSO think?

Regards,

Bill Semich