[ga-udrp]

Re: [ga-udrp] Background Documents

Eric and all,

  It is certainly reasonable to assert that the current UDRP is extra-legal
and has never had any close proximity of support by the participating
stakeholders or otherwise Domain name holders, not even in the US,
not to mention Europe, Asia or South and central America.

  It is also reasonable to assert, as some countries in Asia and now
the EU itself is considering , that each country that is involved in
multilateral Trade agreements such as GATT, and NAFTA to have
their own version of a UDRP and that such a process or policy is
not mandatory but optional to potential registrants of Domain Names
in various current and future gTLD's or ccTLD's.  Should one read
carefully the GATT and NAFTA trade agreements as well as with
respect to Trademark related issues and policies.

  In this vain, I have discussed with Eric here and several of our
legal staff and some independent IP legal experts, in crafting
some potential questions for the survey questionnaire.  I should have
some crafted potential questions sometime tomorrow...

Eric Dierker wrote:

> I have done a reasonable amount of research on this, and I feel like I must be
> missing something.  It appears to me that the UDRP and the below cited act are
> only really supported by IPOs (no not public offerings but Intellectual Property
> lobbying groups).  I find little to no competing and well organized opposing
> interests.  Yes some good intellectuals and good lawyers like Mr. Lovell but no
> actual force opposing the lobbyists.
>
> Can one of you fine people give me a good argument for the UDRP that is not
> strictly for the benefit of the IP constituency.  I for one like existing laws
> and would like to see them enforced and if an UDRP did this I would be all for
> it, otherwise it looks like a mechanism for circumvention of Sovereign and
> legitmate laws.
>
> Sincerely,
> Eric
>
> DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:
>
> > S 1255 IS, Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act.
> > Re: criminalization of the unauthorized use of trademarked names in Internet
> > domain names.
> > Sponsor: Sen. Spencer Abraham (R-MI).
> > Date Introduced: June 21, 1999.
> > http://www.techlawjournal.com/cong106/cybersquat/s1255is.htm
> > --
> > This message was passed to you via the ga-udrp@dnso.org list.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827

This message was passed to you via the ga-udrp@dnso.org list.