[ga-udrp]

Re: [ga-udrp] The UDRP & Registered Symbols in Domain Names

Danny and all,

DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> As you may be aware, it is now possible to register domain names with
> symbols, such as (C) or (R) © ®.   This might affect the future UDRP process
> as "marks" become incorporated into domain names.

  I don't really see the need for this, but if it is desired I can see no reason
not to provide for it...

> Some information on this process may be found at:
> http://ml.register.com/index-ss.cgi?6309|2497174265

 As this is proprietary information form an ICANN (Accredited?,
whatever that means) Registrar, I would have to discount it
significantly.  Given Register.com's questionable history with
respect to integrity and ethical behavior, such documents to
many participating stakeholders is circumspect...

> Although such registrations do not currently resolve on the internet, the
> expectation is that they will indeed resolve subsequent to VeriSign's phase
> 3.3.

  Good to hear.

> One interesting question posed:  Why can't I register a domain name that
> includes the trademark symbol?
> To register a domain name using the special symbol domain name registration
> process, you must enter a domain name that includes at least one "special
> symbol".
> The trademark symbol (™) and the letters "™" translate to the same code. The
> trademark symbol (™) is currently recognized as the standard English
> characters 'tm'-- not as the special symbol "™". Therefore, a domain name
> containing the symbol "™" and none of the special symbols is not a special
> symbol domain name.
> http://ml.register.com/faq/register-ss-faq.cgi?1|2497174265|CO6309
>
> Perhaps we need the IETF to create a special unique symbol for TM for
> registration purposes.  This might solve some problems down the road.

  Oh god help us no!  The IETF would take forever to accomplish such
a task and the philandering and nepotismic recently disclosed and documented
behavior is tantamount to this being a bad idea.  Rather I would suggest
that a separate DNSO GA panel be set up to in a given time frame
with a specified budget, devise a special designator as suggested
for a TM "Symbol".

  Another possible approach would be to combine the WHois and
TM database functions by adding some special fields.  This was
discussed some time ago an let drop.  Maybe it is time to revisit
this as a potential substitute solution?

> I don't know enough about special symbol registrations yet... perhaps YJ
> might have greater knowledge, or perhaps the folks at Verisign could provide
> some guidance?

  Verisign guidance?  Some input certainly.  Guidance?  Well that
is a different matter entirely...

> Best regards,
> Danny

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827

This message was passed to you via the ga-udrp@dnso.org list.