[ga-sys]

Re: [ga] Fwd: Re[2]: [ga-sys] Territorial approach to privacy issues

Well, tell you what, William.  I'll stay on the ga-sys list until those
who
coordinate these lists ask that the discussion be moved.  It is this kind
of unilateral disregard for the system that accounts for much of the
problem in getting the GA to work -- the very thing that you complain
about the most.  When a Chair or Alternate Chair asks me to move,
I'll move, but you are neither.

Bill Lovell

"William X. Walsh" wrote:

> I'm forwarding this to the GA list, since I do strongly feel that the
> entire privacy debate rightly belongs here, and this message addresses
> the kinds of solutions I believe would be the better method, laying
> responsibility with the end user to protect their privacy through
> voluntarily signing up with services such as the one I outline a
> concept for.
>
> This is a forwarded message
> From: William X. Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>
> To: William S. Lovell <wsl@cerebalaw.com>
> Date: Wednesday, June 13, 2001, 10:07:52 PM
> Subject: [ga-sys] Territorial approach to privacy issues
>
> ===8<==============Original message text===============
> Hello William,
>
> Wednesday, June 13, 2001, 9:50:25 PM, William S. Lovell wrote:
>
> > Nonsense, William.  The companies have no business gathering
> > the information in the first place.
>
> > Oh, and by the way, I have just stolen your car. Would you like it
> > back?  Our enlightened "opt-out policy" permits that, you know,
> > through our kind and generous grace.
>
> I love this absolutely ludicrous analogies.
>
> They do so much to support your position.
>
> The DO have business gathering the info, Bill.
>
> If you don't feel that a business has a basis for collecting contact
> information from it's customers, then you must be on a different
> planet than the rest of us.
>
> A production company was doing some filming in a local shopping mall
> (commercials).
> The mall posted notices at the entrances that filming was occuring and
> that all those who entered were subject to that filming.
>
> You could of course opt-out, by not entering the mall.
>
> It is entirely the businesses right to decide what requirements their
> customers must adhere to do be customers of that business, and that
> can most certainly include (And in fact does include) that their
> contact information for their domain names will be publicly available
> information.  The whois service, and the registration agreements, are
> in substantial compliance with the EU rules already. The only
> modification is an explicit notice that the user has a right to decide
> not to have their information shared by not registering a domain name.
>
> The type of thing Joanna is pushing is the kind of thing that if the
> CONSUMERS show a concern over, then the industry will drive out a
> solution for them.
>
> In thinking about the best way to handle a "Domain Agency" service, I
> came up with a very easy and low cost way for a company to offer this
> kind of agency service.
>
> 1) Telephone contact
> A single phone line (or multiple lines using multiple modems and
> busy call rollover) into a computer programmed to be a voice mail
> service.  Each user is assigned an extension number.  (this
> number would be a number local to the agency, not a toll free number,
> since toll free incoming calls would make the cost prohibitively
> [...]

Any terms or acronyms above that are not familiar
to the reader may possibly be explained at:
"WHAT IS": http://whatis.techtarget.com/
GLOSSARY: http://www.icann.org/general/glossary.htm

--
This message was passed to you via the ga-sys@dnso.org list.