[ga-sys]

[ga-sys] Opt-In Privacy Policy gains traction in other industries

  • To: ga-sys <ga-sys@dnso.org>
  • Subject: [ga-sys] Opt-In Privacy Policy gains traction in other industries
  • From: Joanna Lane <jo-uk@rcn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 23:15:41 -0400
  • Sender: owner-ga-sys@dnso.org

Wireless firms chose opt-in on privacy.....

<snip>
Companies like AT&T Wireless Group (AWE.N), among others, are
developing an ``opt-in'' process that would allow marketing only where
consumers give specific consent, a privacy protection policy that is
unusual among major U.S. industries.

<snip>
``I think we're off to a good start with (the opt-in approach),''
said David Sobel, general counsel for the Electronic Privacy
Information Center.

<snip>

AT&T, Verizon Wireless (VZ.N) (VOD.L) and Sprint PCS (PCS.N) have
told the FCC it is premature to adopt rules governing location privacy
practices but if the agency decided to move ahead, the rules should
treat hand-held computers with wireless connections in the same way
a[s] mobile phones.

For the full story -
http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2769340,00.html

--