[ga-sys]

[ga-sys] The EU Privacy issue

I sent this to the wrong list earlier.  This is one of the reasons why
having so many screwy lists like this is really not always such a
great idea.    I've reposted the message here on the correct list:

Having just read a more indepth report on what the actual rules are in
the new EU Privacy rules, in fact I see nothing in there that effects
the domain business in any way.

The rule merely requires that the user be informed about the
collection and dissemination, and given the opportunity to opt out of
it.  It doesn't require the businesses to do business with those that
choose to opt-out, so the opt-out can be in the form of "If you want
to register a domain name, you agree to these terms.  If you do not
agree to these terms, you may opt-out by not registering a domain
name."

A domain name is not a right.  There are requirements to register
them.  These include fees, and various other stipulations in the
agreement.  Nothing I've read precludes the above situation from being
the way domain registrars handle this issue.

Registrars who refuse to....well they can also be registrars for their
local ccTLDs.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh