[ga-sys]

[ga-sys] RE: WHOIS - conditions of use

I hate to be doing any parade raining but, whois isn't a centralized or
centralizable system. At issue is that the registry customarily runs the
whois server. It is also true that not all registries support whois. To
bring them all together in a centralized place would break more than one
existing compromise, as well as, creating a monstrous synchronization
problem. There is also the issue of creating a single point of failure that
doesn't exist now.

I have a whois client that looks up the TLD and queries the appropriate
host. It then takes the referer reference and re-queries the actual host
that has the data. Note that ripe.net is already under EU dominion and
they've already altered their whois output.

These are the currently known-to-mhsc whois servers <tld>:<host name>

al:whois.ripe.net
am:whois.amnic.net
art:whois.skyscape.net
arts:whois.skyscape.net