[ga-rules]

[ga-rules] Substantive Issues

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 00:06:06 +0200 (MET DST), Joe Kelsey wrote:
Subject: [ga] Substantive Issues

> Everyone here is making an assumption that discussion of the rules of
> order on the list is not a "substantive issue" or that it is somehow not
> germaine to the business of the GA.

No, they're not.  They are separating issues into two categories.  One is
"issues relating to the DNS".  These are being called *substantive*.  The
other is issues relating to administration and other procedures.  These are
being called *procedural*.

Nobody is saying they are not *germaine* but simply that they should be
separated.  You can define them using different terminology if you wish.

<snip>
> However, there has been no such official delegation and
> until such an official delegation is made by the GA itself, there can be
> no official discussion on any so-called "sub-list".  You can carry out
> as much informal discussion as you want whereever you want, but as soon
> as you want to do anything affecting the operation of the GA discussion
> list, you have to present it to the GA as a whole for discussion.

You are wrong.  What's more you know you are wrong.  The GA can, in its
wisdom, refer discussion to the [ga-rules] mailing list.  If the issue comes
back without clear guidelines having been formulated, the GA can refer it
back to [ga-rules] again for further discussion.

Like any Parliament, the GA can decide what it wants on the main floor.

<snip>
> My entire point, which everyone seems to be missing, is that any attempt
> to move the discussion of germaine subject matter elsewhere without
> formal recognition by the GA as a whole is completely wrong-headed and
> against the rules.

Not at all, the GA can voluntarily comply until there is a determinative
vote.

> I can discuss the rules of operation of the GA on the GA list all I want
> until there is a formal vote to create a separate rules subcommittee, or
> until the NC create a formal rules WG.

As a member, you can decide not to voluntarily comply.
However, I would ask what would you gain by refusing?

Best regards
Patrick Corliss

--
This message was passed to you via the ga-rules@dnso.org list.