[ga-rules]

Re: [ga-rules] Assembly Voting on Suspensions

Patrick and all,

  The problem with your suggestion Patrick is that the rules are cryptic,
illegitimate, and their application is too prone to vendetta's as a method
of silencing some participants that a chronic complainer can use as
a method of eliminating their competition so to speak....

Patrick Corliss wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Jul 2001 14:47:37 +1200, Joop Teernstra wrote:
>
> > I would like to request your instruction to the list monitors that ,
> > instead of judging and sentencing rulebreakers themselves , they are
> > authorized by the Chair to pass on names of offenders (people they get
> > repeated ga-abuse complaints about) to a List Polling Officer, who will
> > put up these names for an ostracism vote by the participants.
>
> Hi Joop
>
> Interesting proposal but perhaps you need to express the wording more
> clearly.  Your system could, for example, be used to put up the name of the
> person that receives more than X complaints about a single posting up on the
> web for a vote of all GA members on 4 week removal.
>
> The trouble is that any X greater than two is unlikely to be attained.
> There are many complaints but not all about the same posting.  In fact the
> very volume of posts means that complaints are diffused over many posts.
>
> The only way to do that is to switch from examining complaints on a "per
> post" basis and do it on a "per person" basis.  That method would be way
> open to abuse.  In fact, it would be more than likely to increase the level
> of onlist *attacks*.
>
> I think there should be an option for reference to the members but only if
> the members themselves were unhappy about a decision made in the first
> place.  A good example would be my decision to allow Eric Dierker's appeal.
> This prompted Harald's protest resignation as List Monitor.  I'd be
> interested in how a vote would have gone.
>
> One possibility, which I like very much, would be to base the length of the
> suspension on the will of the General Assembly.  If that was put to the
> vote, you could have a system where the number of voters determined the
> length of the suspension.
>
> For example, 25% support might mean two weeks, 50% mean a month, and 75% a
> year.  That way, the punishment will depend on the seriousness of the abuse.
>
> As you might expect, I will post this to [ga-rules] for further debate.
>
> Best regards
> Patrick Corliss
>
> --
> This message was passed to you via the ga-rules@dnso.org list.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827

This message was passed to you via the ga-rules@dnso.org list.