[ga-rules]

[ga-rules] Assembly Voting on Suspensions

On Sun, 08 Jul 2001 14:47:37 +1200, Joop Teernstra wrote:

> I would like to request your instruction to the list monitors that ,
> instead of judging and sentencing rulebreakers themselves , they are
> authorized by the Chair to pass on names of offenders (people they get
> repeated ga-abuse complaints about) to a List Polling Officer, who will
> put up these names for an ostracism vote by the participants.

Hi Joop

Interesting proposal but perhaps you need to express the wording more
clearly.  Your system could, for example, be used to put up the name of the
person that receives more than X complaints about a single posting up on the
web for a vote of all GA members on 4 week removal.

The trouble is that any X greater than two is unlikely to be attained.
There are many complaints but not all about the same posting.  In fact the
very volume of posts means that complaints are diffused over many posts.

The only way to do that is to switch from examining complaints on a "per
post" basis and do it on a "per person" basis.  That method would be way
open to abuse.  In fact, it would be more than likely to increase the level
of onlist *attacks*.

I think there should be an option for reference to the members but only if
the members themselves were unhappy about a decision made in the first
place.  A good example would be my decision to allow Eric Dierker's appeal.
This prompted Harald's protest resignation as List Monitor.  I'd be
interested in how a vote would have gone.

One possibility, which I like very much, would be to base the length of the
suspension on the will of the General Assembly.  If that was put to the
vote, you could have a system where the number of voters determined the
length of the suspension.

For example, 25% support might mean two weeks, 50% mean a month, and 75% a
year.  That way, the punishment will depend on the seriousness of the abuse.

As you might expect, I will post this to [ga-rules] for further debate.

Best regards
Patrick Corliss

--
This message was passed to you via the ga-rules@dnso.org list.