[ga-rules]

Re: [ga-rules] Re: Consensus

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:41:18 -0700, Eric Dierker wrote:

> Joanna,
> Great move and I fully support it.
> Eric

<Joanna's original post snipped>

Hi Eric

The above message is what is generally referred to as a "me too" post.  As
indicated by the name, it is a post which does not advance the debate but
merely expresses agreement with a previous posting.  These are not covered
under the current list rules and protocols.

Of course, in trying to evaluate consensus it may be necessary for list
members to gain some appreciation of the support or otherwise of any
particular proposal.  This can only be gauged through the responses of other
list members.

However, I am sure members wish to see the debate being advanced with a
higher content to noise ratio.  It is probably better, I would have thought,
to avoid unnecessary posts of the "me too" variety, or even urges to "try
harder", in favour of thoughtful comments of substance.

Should people feel compelled to post simple responses, it would be useful
for them to trim any previous postings as much as possible.  Otherwise it is
often necessary to scroll down to the bottom of a long email just to see if
there are any further comments.

Whilst bandwith may no longer be a factor, even a 4KB post adds up when
circulated to over 300 list members.  However, many members will endeavour
to store list messages.  As well, it is often time-wasting to browse or
search through the overly long list archives.

As a result many lists rules require much more of an effort in quoting and
trimming.

Best regards
Patrick Corliss

--