[ga-roots]

[ga-roots] Re: [ga] Proposal for moving forward

Jonathan Weinberg wrote:

Bill,

         I think you misunderstood my earlier message (below).   My
suggestion wasn't that we need consensus before we can vote.  Rather, it
was that if we have consensus (as determined by the chair), we don't *need*
to vote.

Jon

I may have, Jon. And just to clarify, when I said that "The premise seems to be
that there must already have been reached what looks like a 'consensus'
approval of an Issue before there can be a vote on it.  If that were the case,
why have the Vote?,"  I was referring only to the formal DNSO process,
and really speaking hypothetically, from a "philosophical" (?) point of view.
I was balking at conducting pro forma exercises, using up DNSO resources,
on something on which the outcome is already known.  Waste.

At the same time, I agree entirely with Joanna and Roeland that there must
be some numerical indication, other than counting up emails, which shows
the general position of the MEMBERS involved.  Whether something has
been elevated to this level or that should not be the decision solely of the
Chair or Alternate Chair, while on the other hand, if a poll showed (and
here's that word again!) "consensus" that a PROPOSAL or a MOTION
should be RECOGNIZED, then the Chair could do so with confidence.
The Best Practices provides for the interjection of a poll whenever that
seems warranted -- a GA SECRETARIAT would adjust the TIME LINE
to accommodate the same, and the present situation shows very well the
fact that the Best Practices can indeed be a useful tool. If followed, a
subsequent, real DEBATE on the ISSUE could well lead to a MOTION
that would indeed justify a DNSO administered VOTE that would involve
the entire General Assembly membership.

Ad hoc procedures that garner email support and are then rushed to a vote
are not the way to go.  However intended, they always bear the possible
"taint" that what's involved is really some narrow little clique of people who
are trying to "railroad" something through for their own perceived benefit.
"Consensus" cannot be claimed with respect to any such procedure.

Bill