[ga-roots]

[ga-roots] Users vote overwhelmingly against ICANN in "OpenNIC" and "DNS Root" surveys

Two independent online surveys which question ICANN's new Top Level Domain
(TLD) choices have come to exactly the same conclusion - that the Internet
requires more stability than ICANN is willing to provide. Both surveys find
users voting heavily against ICANN (90% and 80% against respectively).

The issue is because ICANN is introducing a second .BIZ TLD into the domain
name system (DNS). This has the potential to cause serious damage to the
Internet. Email may be mis-routed or lost, web page requests may be
mis-routed to the wrong web server, as ICANN's duplicate domain names start
appearing on the Internet. Not to mention the inherent trademark problems
created by duplicate domain names.

The survey results are as follows:

OpenNIC Survey: Which .biz should we accept?

   ICANN's                   3%
   Pacroot's                 80%
   No one                    3%
   Wait until Pacroot and
   ICANN reach an agreement  6%
   Wait until a court decides 6%

See: http://scoop.opennic.unrated.net/

The results from the OpenNIC survey indicate that OpenNIC will not be
adding the ICANN .BIZ to their root server network. Instead, they will be
keeping their root zone the same. OpenNIC's Robin Bandy states on the
OpenNIC discussion list "We're no longer merely supersetting ICANN's root
but building our own zone from scratch, so this policy goes into place
immediately. Well, since it's actually a vote for no change, it's already
in effect".

DNS Root Survey: Which .BIZ is the real one?

   The one in the ORSC root     21.21%
   The one approved by ICANN    9.09%
   The one that existed first   69.70%*

See: http://www.dns-root.org/

*This is really a trick question - the "one that existed first" was
originally in the ORSC root and is now supported by many other root server
networks, such as OpenNIC and Pacroot. The consensus of this vote means
that ICANN should respect the first deployed .BIZ TLD and not add a second
.BIZ TLD to the Internet.

This text may be freely distributed.

Best Regards,

Simon