[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] response

Page:
Agree with most of your message but question the paragraph below.
I don't think funding is really the issue. Joe Sims, Louis Touton, and
Andrew McLaughlin are nothing if not bright. They are hard working,
clever lawyers.

The problem is with the way ICANN was created. From beginning
its management has been totally in the grip of a small group with its
own ideas about how things should be done. This small group
selected the initial Board all by itself, and also constructed the
DNSO in a way that was rigged to appease a small core of interest groups.
So there has never been any real checks on how this gang operates.

This group has always lacked vision - they think of ICANN as their
private corporation rather than a global institution that needs to
function according to impartial rules. The whole corporate structure
of ICANN allows them to redefine the rules any time they want, or to
disregard them and redefine them retroactively.

They just don't understand that there is a need to build
trust and impartiality into the institution over the long term. They are
always focused on short-term measures designed to retain their
control. That's why we got the response we got by trying to initiate
an open discussion of the root. It scared them.

That being said, I think many within ICANN's strucure are getting
the message of new.net. They know that they had better get on
with creating new TLDs. The problem is that the IP interests, to whom
they have basically sold their souls, are dead set against that.

>>> "Page Howe" <page@pagehowe.com> 06/18/01 01:24PM >>>

I applaud ICANN for staying together on a limited budget and trying to
please multiple aims and goals, but was the idea of a domain tax so gagable
to people that we didnt create an organization with the best and the
brightest from the start, and create a funded mechanism for receiving
constituency input from the start, and didnt create a line of communication
with registrants from the start.. and so on