[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] response

From: <owner-ga-roots@dnso.org>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 23:06:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: BOUNCE ga-roots@dnso.org: Non-member submission from [Karl Auerbach
<karl@CaveBear.com>]

> At 06:57 PM 5/28/01 -0700, Kent Crispin wrote:
> >Response to Mueller's:
> > > Analysis of the Crispin Internet-draft.
> [...]
> >conclusion: ICANN *cannot* approve multiple roots.

Certainly we can.  ICANN probably won't however.  But that doesn't mean
that ICANN ought to oppose 'em.

What I want ICANN to do is this - to simply mind its own business: to work
on its own root and to keep its nose out of efforts by others who want to
tend to their own root(s).

And may the best root win.  It's my hope that we can make the ICANN root
the best of all possible roots.  But the chances of winning that
competitoin aren't improved if we (ICANN) don't recognize that we are
actually engaged in a race to be best.

When I get really stressed out I like to go down to the arcade and play a
game known as "Whack a Mole" - in this game there are several mole holes,
and plastic moles pop up at random times, sometimes several at once, and
at an increasingly fast pace as the game proceeds.  The object of the game
is to use a big mallet to clobber each mole as it pops up - after a
certain number of misses the moles win (and the moles *always* eventually
win.)

Well, if ICANN tries to fight competing roots it will be playing Whack A
Mole with the Internet - there is no way to stop people from creating
roots of their own.  (Just wait until the game and IRC folks discover that
they can create their own name spaces. ;-)  An effort by ICANN to try to
supress competing roots will simply be a waste of time - and as ICANN's
staff loves to say, they are already too busy to do the work they have
already.

--karl--