[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Edelman's report on BIZ

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 06:58:14PM -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:
> Ben:
>
> It's good to have a fact-based discussion of the .biz problem.
>
> The picture of the ARNI registrations is a very valuable
> contribution to our understanding of the issue. It provides some
> basis for discussing the relationship between the ICANN process
> and the claims established outside of it.
>
> Your treatment of the facts, however, is incomplete
> and borders on the selective in certain respects.
>
> To begin with, you start your history with the ICANN TLD process.
> It is well known that the .BIZ top-level domain was first proposed,
> and operated, by Karl Denninger some time in 1996.
> No accurate treatment of this problem can ignore the historical
> context from which the debate over alternate roots emerged.
>
> There is a record, I believe, of a transaction between Leah Gallegos
> and Denniger to take over rights to .Biz.

I doubt that very much:

    "Denninger said he expanded the concept to allow automated dot-biz
    domain name registrations in 1995, and his company, Macro Computer
    Systems, was sold in 1998 to Winstar Communications.

    He says ORSC changed from pointing to Winstar's list of dot-biz
    names to Alantic Root Network's in the last year.  "The problem is
    that (Gallegos') claim to this is no more legitimate than JV Team's.
    I would argue that neither of them has a legitimate claim,"
    Denninger says.

    from http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,40301,00.html

> Your report makes it seem
> as if Neulevel invented the proposed TLD and that it was first
> broached in the ICANN TLD process. This gives the impression
> that Gallegos simply skimmed ICANN proposals and imitated
> the Neulevel proposal.

Yes, it sure looks that way.

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be