[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Edelman's report on BIZ

Wrong.  It was re-delegated to Leah Gallegos in May, 2000 after it
was abandoned.  In any case it was the original .BIZ that had
existed since 1995.  Twist it any way you like.  It was there and
operational prior to any hint from ICANN that it would accept
applications for new TLDs.  We had made it known to all
applicants that it was an existing TLD and we were accepting
registrations via email and phone from the time of re-delegation.

Small or large, it is and has been an active registry.  You and
ICANN can claim anything you like.  Documentation is there to
refute it.

On 19 Jun 2001, at 15:40, Kent Crispin wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 06:58:14PM -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:
> > Ben:
> >
> > It's good to have a fact-based discussion of the .biz problem.
> >
> > The picture of the ARNI registrations is a very valuable
> > contribution to our understanding of the issue. It provides some
> > basis for discussing the relationship between the ICANN process and
> > the claims established outside of it.
> >
> > Your treatment of the facts, however, is incomplete
> > and borders on the selective in certain respects.
> >
> > To begin with, you start your history with the ICANN TLD process. It
> > is well known that the .BIZ top-level domain was first proposed, and
> > operated, by Karl Denninger some time in 1996. No accurate treatment
> > of this problem can ignore the historical context from which the
> > debate over alternate roots emerged.
> >
> > There is a record, I believe, of a transaction between Leah Gallegos
> > and Denniger to take over rights to .Biz.
>
> I doubt that very much:
>
>     "Denninger said he expanded the concept to allow automated dot-biz
>     domain name registrations in 1995, and his company, Macro Computer
>     Systems, was sold in 1998 to Winstar Communications.
>
>     He says ORSC changed from pointing to Winstar's list of dot-biz
>     names to Alantic Root Network's in the last year.  "The problem is
>     that (Gallegos') claim to this is no more legitimate than JV
>     Team's. I would argue that neither of them has a legitimate
>     claim," Denninger says.
>
>     from http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,40301,00.html
>
> > Your report makes it seem
> > as if Neulevel invented the proposed TLD and that it was first
> > broached in the ICANN TLD process. This gives the impression
> > that Gallegos simply skimmed ICANN proposals and imitated
> > the Neulevel proposal.
>
> Yes, it sure looks that way.
>
> --
> Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
> kent@songbird.com                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain
> -- This message was passed to you via the ga-roots@dnso.org list. Send
> the body of the message). Archives at
> http://www.dnso.org/archives.html