[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Re: ICANN Policy -- revised version

At 12:02 AM 6/17/01 -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:
> > Second, you quote the white paper's sentence that "the introduction
> > of a new managmenet system should not disrupt current operations or
> > create competing root systems".  This sentence is indeed listed as a
> > principle to which ICANN should commit.  Thus, it is indeed the
> > cloest thing to a policy on alternative roots which is listed in
> > the entire white paper.
> >
> > But what does this sentence really say?  Does it say anything about
> > how ICANN should handle TLDs which are registered in alternative
> > root systems?  No.
>
>Nonsense.  It gives a clear direction to ICANN that it should not
>encourage the creation of alternate root systems.

Yes. That translates into ICANN being a responsible party. That hasn't
happened yet.

>And it is crystal
>clear that any recognition of existing alternate root systems would be
>an encouragment for the creation of more.

Not so. Recognizing the alt.roots has two possible outcomes:

  1. Reconciliation of the various roots into one competitive single root
system whereby there is no need for new alt.roots (the stable and logical
choice supported by the White Paper), or
  2. Total root fragmentation because competition is forced out of the
exclusionary IANA/USG root.

My vote is for #1.

ICANN is betting the farm on #2.

Remember, Kent Crispin & Co still hold a wicked grudge against the original
Draft Postel participants who currently flourish in the alt.roots. There's
no rational or accountability behind the logic except to exclude all those
participants like they did with the gTLD-MOU (and we can all see how Ambler
& .WEB has done inside the ICANN process).

Now Stuart Lynn is quoting Crispin's Internet Draft as a matter of
immovable policy (what's wrong with *THAT* picture?) and is driving ICANN
into a brick wall a very high speed. This wouldn't be a problem except he's
taking the DNS with it.

Best Regards,

Simon

--
DNS is not a sacred cow that cannot be replaced by something better.