[ga-roots]

Re[4]: [ga-roots] Re: ICANN Policy -- revised version

Hello Stefan,

Saturday, June 16, 2001, 11:42:39 PM, Stefan Probst wrote:
>>  it would be a
>>major thing, more so than any other registrar really.
>>
>>Tucows/OpenSRS has the largest partner/reseller channel of any
>>registrar.  It's entire business model is based around it.  Imagine
>>the impact of several THOUSAND ISPs and domain registration sites
>>pushing an alt.root TLD.  And that is what Tucows could do if it
>>choose.

> And it is, what New.net is already trying to do.

No,not really.  New.net does not have a wholesale channel market at
all.  They are the exclusive retail channel for their domains.

> If they don't get .web, because another "new" contender gets it, than you
> are right. If they don't get it, because IOD's claims, then they threat
> that they start their own root. That's the gun.

That is not what they said, Stefan.  You are putting many words in
their mouth.

>> > Don't tell me, that they chose .web just by chance....

.web is not a mystery.  It is the most obvious and attractive new TLD,
and that has nothing to do with IOD at all.

.web being an attractive and desirable TLD is something that anyone
could see on their own.

I'm assuming (mind you I do not know for sure) they feel, like I do,
that the deference granted to IOD by Vint Cerf was a bad decision, in
that it gave more merit to IOD's arguments than they deserved.  I
imagine that their statement was more meant to get the board to start
thinking about that decision and to get ready to be forced to make
another decision about it in the next round.

I think it is a good thing that IOD will not be the only candidate
seeking .web.  May the best registry operator win, on merit, not on a
controversial interpretation of the past.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>