[ga-roots]

RE: [ga-roots] was: Re[2]: [ga-icann] interesting California law to consider

If we were to look at it in that way, "." was developed with the legacy
root and it has been copied by the alt.roots.

The thing is, anyone can set up an alt.root and there are no restrictions
on what TLD's they operate under it.  The whole point of this argument is
the fact the alt.root community wants to muscle in on the users of the
legacy root.  In other words they are attempting to profit by the client
base the legacy root has without putting in the hard yards to gain that
client base.  ICANN may have inherited it by default and didn't earn it as
such but they are the ones with it and are working to make it suitable for
the users.  I see no reason why they should have to "give" anything away to
anybody else to make a profit from.

The criteria for selecting which TLD's get released and who operates them
may be onerous to the majority of people.  However, I suggest the best way
to gain a market share is to actually participate and if necessary agitate
for change in the criteria, not attempting to circumvent it.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch.