[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Re: ICANN Policy -- revised version

On 2001-06-15 12:41:54 -0700, M. Stuart Lynn wrote:

>ICANN has many policies that are embodied in our charter documents
>that have not been separately and explicitly codified in a single
>policy document. For example, we have a policy derived from those
>documents that commit us to further the stability of the Internet.

"Stability of the Internet" is hardly a policy, but rather one of
the basic principles underlying ICANN.

"Policy" seems to be understood by most of those who participate in
this discussion as a reference to Art. III S. 3 (b) in the bylaws:

   (b) With respect to any policiues that are being considered by the
   Board for adoption that substantially affect the operation of the
   Internet or third parties [...], the Board will: [...]

Obviously, any policy with respect to alternative roots _is_ a
policy affecting third parties, so I'd hope that the board takes
care not to blur the line between a III 3 (b) policy and the board's
interpretation of the white paper, which is obviously not shared by
all members of the community.

>When there are important issues on the table, I will continue to
>summarize existing policies that may be embodied in those
>documents and elsewhere (including those that have been explicitly
>stated) and articulate them for the community. Particularly - as
>in this case - when I receive enquiries as to what our policy on a
>given topic may be. That is part of my job.

While it seems to be pretty evident from some of the Stockholm
discussions that certain powerful players want commitments from the
board on the non-acceptance of alternative root operators (or else
may start to operate alternative roots of their own), I find the
procedure you have choosen quite bad: In fact, you are hardly trying
to foster discussion in ICANN's policy-making bodies.  Instead, you
are trying to declare a board commitment (which certainly happens
with the very best intentions) as "policy", based on some rather
weak arguments you rip out of the White and Green Papers.

>Articulating existing policies is very different from creating new
>policy. That requires consensus-based approaches. And I do not
>think any of us disagree on that.

Let's have a look what portions of the white and green papers you
quote on alternative roots.

First, we have the green paper section which classifies
Internet-related activities into "those that can be moved to a
competitive system and those that should be coordinated".  "We then
suggest the creation of a representative, not-for-profit corporation
to manage the coordinated functions according to widely accepted
objective criteria".

This section says that ICANN is necessary, and that it should
coordinate certain functions.  However, it doesn't contain any
micro-management of ICANN's coordination activities.  In particular,
it doesn't say "please ignore the existing alternative roots".

Second, you quote the white paper's sentence that "the introduction
of a new managmenet system should not disrupt current operations or
create competing root systems".  This sentence is indeed listed as a
principle to which ICANN should commit.  Thus, it is indeed the
closest thing to a policy on alternative roots which is listed in
the entire white paper.

But what does this sentence really say?  Does it say anything about
how ICANN should handle TLDs which are registered in alternative
root systems?  No.

It just says that ICANN is has to avoid the creation of competing
root systems, which is a different kind of requirement.  From the
way in which the alternative roots are mentioned in an earlier
portion of the white paper (experiments with visibility to only a
small portion of internet users, which helped to foster discussion,
and whose commercial activities are not endorsed), this section
doesn't look like it alludes to those - in fact, one could even read
all this to say that ICANN should work on including with the
authoritative root the TLDs which were present in the alternative
roots back then.  (One could also read this requirement as an
allusion to Postel's Experiment.)

The third policy-like quote you use once again comes from the White
paper (listed in the "The Need for Change" section): "As Internet
names increasingly have commercial value, the decision to add new
top-level domains cannot be made on an ad hoc basis by entities or
individuals that are not formally accountable to the Internet
community".

First question: "add" to what?  I'd say "to the authoritative root".
Second, why does the white paper talk about "formal accountability"?

 From the context, this could easily be interpreted to say that
addition of gTLDs to the authoritative root must happen in a formal
process, and not based on the deliberations of individuals.

In fact, this could once again be read (maybe misread?) as an
allusion to Postel's Experiment - which, as you know, was on Jan 28
1998, that is, two days before the Green Paper was published and
half a year before the White Paper saw the light of the day.

But anyway, this quote once again only says that decisions to add
new TLDs must be made following due process.  It does not say what
kinds of objective deliberations should be part of this process, and
whether or not particular attention should be paid to existing
alternative roots.  (This is actually a good thing: ICANN may happen
to encounter a situation in which an alternative TLD is so
well-established that creating a competing incarnation of that TLD
would cause actual damage and destroy both players.  In such a
situation, ICANN would have to take alternative roots into account.)

Summarizing, I don't see an existing policy which could be derived
 from the White paper and which prevents ICANN from taking existing
non-ICANN TLDs into account when new TLDs are added to the
authoritative root.

However, I do understand that you have to balance on a very thin
line: ICANN must of course not activate the destructive powers of
certain players.  However, ICANN also must not set precedents for
policy which is actually invented by the board or the president.

Why not try to get the DNSO to produce an actual III 3 (b) policy on
this matter, which addresses these questions?

--
Thomas Roessler                        http://log.does-not-exist.org/