[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Re: ICANN Policy -- revised version

I understand and welcome your views, Brett, But I could not disagree more.

ICANN has many policies that are embodied in our charter documents
that have not been separately and explicitly codified in a single
policy document. For example, we have a policy derived from those
documents that commit us to further the stability of the Internet.
There has been no bottom-up process to codify that - except as was
embodied in the founding of ICANN and in the finalization of those
documents.

When there are important issues on the table, I will continue to
summarize existing policies that may be embodied in those documents
and elsewhere (including those that have been explicitly stated) and
articulate them for the community. Particularly - as in this case -
when I receive enquiries as to what our policy on a given topic may
be. That is part of my job. This is no different than our restatement
of IANA policies in ICP-1.

Articulating existing policies is very different from creating new
policy. That requires consensus-based approaches. And I do not think
any of us disagree on that.

I think we all understand our difference of views on this subject,
and I doubt we will persuade each other. So it may be best to move
on. But I will look forward to your specific comments.

With regards
Stuart

--

Stuart Lynn