[ga-roots]

[ga-roots] Re: ICANN Policy -- revised version

Stuart:

I would request that you modify your statement to indicate that there
currently is NO stated consensus policy on the adoption of TLD
assignments by ICANN that are in use in alternate or competing roots.

I can prove easily that there is no policy: ICANN has explicitly avoided
a conflict in the case of .WEB, and it has created a conflict in the case
of .BIZ. Both decisions were off-the-cuff ones made by the Board in
November. But there is no documented policy process that would explain
why they avoided conflict in one instance and not in another.

The White Paper simply does not address the issue. Working Group C
did not address it. Nor did the Names Council resolution passing on
WGC's recommendation to create new TLDs.

In your unilateral policy statement known as the "discussion draft,"
you made it clear that you do not like alternate roots. I would ask
you to look beyond that, as it is irrelevant to the question I am raising.
We must not confuse the question of whether there is a prior
policy with the question of WHAT the policy should be. We may agree
or disagree on the latter. But the only conclusion an honest person
cam come to about the former is that it is a policy question that has
not been carefully defined and explored.

>>> "M. Stuart Lynn" <lynn@icann.org> 06/14/01 04:23PM >>>
Danny -- I am still receiving final editorial and other clarification
suggestions on my paper. I hope to have it complete in about a week
or so.

Thanks for your interest.

Stuart

--