[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] [Fwd: Fwd: nos voro illos que offendo]

NameCritic wrote:

> For dummies like me and anyone who might be lurking here. What is an IPV 1,
> 2, 3, 6, 8 or otherwise. One of the reasons for the lack of participation on
> lists is the use of acronyms and technical terms. We want more participation
> then we will have to stop doing that and include some lay terms for things
> including limiting the number of acronyms used.

IP is the Internet Protocol, the method of moving packets around which underlies
everything we do on the net. The net currently runs on version four of that
protocol, usually abbreviated IPv4.

The next version will be version 6, abbreviated IPv6 or IPng (the next
generation). It has been in development since the mid-90s by an IETF
(Internet Engineering Task Force) working group.

Working Group home page:
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ipngwg-charter.html

The Overview RFC:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2460.txt

See also:
http://www.ipv6.org/
http://www.kame.net/project-overview.html#overview
http://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng/html/ipng-main.html
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/communications/networkbasics/IPv6.asp
etc.

"IPv8" appears to be one person's imagination going off on its own.

> Or publish the GA Dictionary.

There are three RFCs which are glossaries:

http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1208.txt   networking terms
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1983.txt   for Internet users
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2828.txt   security terms

and these sites might help: