[ga-roots]

[ga-roots] Two standards

Apparently there are two standards in operation. That is if I
understand Cochetti some 10 minutes ago on the NC webcast.

We should let VeriSign go on with its multilingual testbed, although
there is no IETF standard, nor an ICANN board decision regarding
non-ASCII domain names. They cannot freeze for two months
until the IETF sets a standard. Why? Because otherwise others will run
away with it and make the money, in stead of the ICANN backud up
companies...

However, where there are already TLDs running, for years, in the
normal English language ASCII world, there we should protect against
outside of ICANN processes. Therefore we ignore the alt roots, new.net
and the like. We have a strong enough foot in this market and use
ICANN to keep others out. So we do not even want to discuss talking to
these others.

If ICANN buys this line, it clearly shows that it is just legitimizing
some favoured companies.

Two standards. The only difference: we have the market already, or we
don't. Are we buying this?