[ga-roots]

RE: A point of agreement (Re: [ga-roots] response to responsetoresponse)

See below.

Gene...

<SNIP>

Harald, is this the position you really want to take?  By walking down this
path, the "threat", as you have defined it, is not dependent upon the rights
or technical viability of an organization's efforts, but solely on their
size/money.  It ignores the rights an organization might have.  It puts
images like this in the minds of the reader:

ICANN Person #1: "What is it this CarribeanRoot Inc. claims to have
established?  An operating business using a TLD?"

ICANN Person #2: "Yeah, but they are pretty small."

ICANN Person #1: "How small?"

ICANN Person #2: "They don't even have a lawyer on staff.  Not much of a
budget for marketing, either."

ICANN Person #1: "So, what happens if we just ignore that they have any
legal claim?  They can't do anything about it anyway, right?"

ICANN Person #2: "Probably not.  They might make a little noise, but that
will blow over."

ICANN Person #1: "What about this other company, Old.web Inc.?  They seem to
have some money."

ICANN Person #2: "Yeah... they could be a problem.  They have really started
to make some inroads, and they have money for a legal fight."

ICANN Person #1: "Don't they have some new and conflicting TLDs?"

ICANN Person #2: "They don't conflict with anything currently in the root.
And remember, the others are like CarribeanRoot Inc.: They can't do anything
about it anyway"

ICANN Person #1: "I see.  So the problem really is just one of money.
Old.web might be able to gain some serious mindshare, whether they have
established the rights to the TLDs or not, while CarribeanRoot can't do
anything about serious mindshare, even if they HAVE established an operating
business!"

ICANN Person #2: "Yes.  We need to be concerned about mindshare, not the law
or what is right."