[ga-roots]

RE: [ga-roots] Jon Postel

At 04:58 PM 5/28/01 -0700, Josh Elliott wrote:
>To be more specific about your inaccuracies:
>
>1) Bill Manning was never "outsted", in fact, he did not work on IANA very
>often.
>2) There were no budget cuts or funding cuts
>3) Bill was temporarily used to get particular technical projects completed
>on behalf of IANA, and Mike never let Manning go.

This is correct from my recollection. Bill was assisting Jon in a lot of
matters which could be considered IANA work (I first met Bill during an
informal Draft Postel meeting at ISI). But, after the Image Online Design
lawsuit, Bill was never described as an IANA official (though I believe he
was before the lawsuit). Thank the lawyers for that one.

>4) You are correct, $600k does not go very far in LA.
>5) The statement that IANA did not do anything for 6 months is completely
>inaccurate, attackful, uninformed, and inappropriate.  A number of people
>worked their butts off for the IANA project all the time.  Period.
>6) Among its regular duties at that time, IANA was working quickly torward
>the transition to NewCo/ICANN, so all of us were doing more than biting our
>nails.

Did you wear out the magic 8-ball? ;-)