[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Briefing Paper

Ok, you are all used to some strange ideas presented by me so this should
not be a shocker. Just a thought for others to maybe build an idea out of.

When the government builds a highway they secure the right of way from land
owners to do so. The land owner is paid and there are rules to decide how
that figure is arrived at.

Is there a possible model here for something ICANN could do when creating a
new gTLD that is the same as an existing one in another root to secure the
right of way per say? Some compensation to the tld owner for not allowing
the colliders to exist but giving ICANN the authority to select tlds they
deem viable?

Don't go off on me here. I believe that the roots should be all inclusive
still, however there could be alternatives that are being overlooked and
this may lead to one of them. To just introduce the new tlds with NO
consideration to previous tld operators seems the wrong approach, and it
doesn't seem they are going to recognize the need to include other roots at
this time, why not a compromise where say Leah receives a set amount plus
royalties for ICANN obtaining the right of way.

IMHO the $50,000 ICANN charged for the application fee is a reasonable
amount for the right of way plus the operator of the new tld paying a
royalty per domain name filed.

Now if that means tlds that have been in operation for a certain amount of
time or grandfathering in ones that exist to date for this compromise I'll
leave to you techies to work on.

But keep in mind if you shoot for the whole ball of wax you aren't likely to
get it and if ICANN refuses to do anything at all about this then it will
cause them problems. A compromise has the chance of being implemented.

Chris McElroy aka NameCritic