[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Community Roots or Red Herrings)

Chris McElroy aka NameCritic

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dassa" <dassa@dhs.org>
To: <ga-roots@dnso.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2001 5:10 PM
Subject: RE: [ga-roots] Community Roots or Red Herrings)

 No one owns numbers, why should I allow myself to be controlled
> by some remote body which decides what IP numbers I can use.

That's what a lot of us said, but ICANN started anyway.

> As in any structure we need rules and procedures.  I am against any one
> just jumping in and trying to circumvent the established rules and
> guidelines.

Again we agree, but ICANN continues to do this.

> Yes, I would rather see only the legacy root name spaces on the Internet
> and believe any other name space belongs on a private network.

Thanks for stating your belief. You do realise the fact that you believe
this does not make it correct right?

We are all
> free to set up our own networks using whatever IP address scheme and name
> space we wish, however, at the points that interact with the Internet we
> should take care to follow the guidelines and structures that have been
> deemed acceptable there.

"The Internet" includes all the roots and IP addresses in the world. How can
you set up a root that isn't on the Internet?

That is the co-operation evident from the past,
> in recent times we have some individuals and organisations that are not
> being co-operative and are not following the guidelines.

I know. ICANN, the NC, the DNSO, and the members of the existing
Constituencies.

 Some of these are
> doing so out of frustration and a perceived need to force issues, others
> are doing so with financial gain in mind.

I agree, those I mentioned above are mostly doing it for financial gain
IMHO.

Although I may understand why
> they do so, it does not mean that I need to condone their actions.

Me either.

NameCritic