[ga-roots]

Bureau of Internet Affairs (was RE: [ga-roots] Community Roots or Red Herrings)

At 12:48 PM 5/12/01 +1000, you wrote:

>RFC 1918 defines the IP ranges to be used for private networks and
>allocated by the relevant body.  The name space for the Internet also has a
>relevant body, any name space that is outside the legacy root name space is
>a private name space and as such belongs as a private network and not on
>the Internet.  [...] Any roots aside from
>the legacy root under the control of ICANN are rogue and not legitimate on
>the Internet.  They are private name spaces and belong on private networks,
>not in the public network and name space.

That's the mantra of the Bureau of Internet Affairs (ICANN) - take the land
away and force the inhabitants into reservations. It's utterly stupid and
immoral. Besides, history shows us quite clearly that this model is REALLY,
REALLY, REALLY, BAD:

http://www.doi.gov/bia/as-ia/175gover.htm

"We must first reconcile ourselves to the fact that the works of this
agency have at various times profoundly harmed the communities it was meant
to serve. From the very beginning, the Office of Indian Affairs [Bureau of
Indian Affairs] was an instrument by which the United States enforced its
ambition against the Indian nations and Indian people who stood in its
path. And so, the first mission of this institution was to execute the
removal of the southeastern tribal nations. By threat, deceit, and force,
these great tribal nations were made to march 1,000 miles to the west,
leaving thousands of their old, their young and their infirm in hasty
graves along the Trail of Tears. [...]
"Let us begin by expressing our profound sorrow for what this agency has
done in the past. Just like you, when we think of these misdeeds and their
tragic consequences, our hearts break and our grief is as pure and complete
as yours. We desperately wish that we could change this history, but of
course we cannot. On behalf of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, I extend this
formal apology to Indian people for the historical conduct of this agency."

Best Regards,

Simon

--
"You can't vote on facts"