[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Re: [icann-eu] Letter to Dr. Vint Cerf

[Please copy me {and not List Admin} on

On 2001-05-09 19:35:15 -0400, L Gallegos wrote:

> Canonical meaning what?  The orthodox view of the DoC controlled
> rootzone?  You are forgetting that education is working and a
> paradigm shift is beginning.  What is considered canonical today
> may be quite different tomorrow.

Canonical meaning "the kind of DNS" expected by the average user. Or
by the large majority of users.  You know, Leah, the average
Internet user (1) doesn't care about all this dns policy business,
and (2) hasn't ever heared about you.  So why should he expect that
.biz is something else than what is presented to him by his
(probably large) ISP?  And why should he expect that it's a .biz
different from the one presented to him in banner, radio and
possibly TV ads (yes, .tv has been doing radio advertising where I
live)?  Why should he expect that it's a .biz different from the one
announced in the TV news (yes, the domain name decisions were on the
man TV news broadcast [tagesschau] where I live)?

While all this is really not nice and most likely means that you can
just forget about your version of .biz, and the work you put into
it, it seems inevitable at this point.  You'd have to put in a vast
amount of money in terms of marketing and probably legal costs in
order to even have a chance.

Let me repeat the argument which Jefsey, Kent and I are all making:
Duplication means that user expectation will not be fulfilled to
some degree.  Now, Kent and I are arguing that the majority of users
will basically expect the version of .biz with the larger public
visibility - which will almost inevitably be ICANN's version.

The difference between Kent and my arguments is mostly in the detail
who could be held liable for any damage.  And, I admit, the cache
poisoning makes a strong case for his version of this detail.

(BTW, this brings up an - metinks - interesting technical question:
What checks are currently performed on NS records?  Would it be
possible to register a .biz server as a name server for some domain
right now?)

--
Thomas Roessler                          http://log.does-not-exist.org/