[ga-roots]

Re: draft-higgs (Re: [ga-roots] Capture and Diversion)

At 05:51 PM 5/4/01 -0700, you wrote:

> > That's a fine example for the IETF chair to set.
>
>Yes, Harald has set a fine example, and he is to be commended for it.

He's lost his credibility. He just lied to this list about a court case
that I was never in. You want to commend him for rewriting history? Ah,
yes, you must be so proud of him now.

>If the IETF had been just a tiny bit more involved in these issues from
>an earlier time, then a lot of this nonsense about alternate roots might
>never have started in the first place.

OK, lets get the facts straight:

1. The IETF has been involved from the very beginning of Draft Postel.
Draft Postel was released three times within the IETF framework. The first
newdom BOF was at the Dec 1996 IETF as a result. You attended.

2. The IETF abdicated the IANA process to ISOC and it's IAHC. The IETF
"management", the IAB, chose *VERY* poorly back then. The subsequent
gTLD-MOU was a complete farce and the USG was forced to intervene and shut
it down.

3. eDNS, the second major alt.root, was created on the iahc-discuss mailing
list as a direct consequence of the failure of the gTLD-MOU to meet the
needs of the internet community.

If the original IANA TLDs applications had been accepted and put into the
root, as promised back in 1996, there would be no alt.roots today. There
would be no need for them.

Those are the facts.

Best Regards,

Simon Higgs

--
"Never underestimate the power of corruption to rewrite history."
  --Oliver Stone (San Jose Mercury News, July 16, 2000)