[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] Capture and Diversion (was Smart Browsers)

Harald and all,

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

> At 17:31 01.05.2001 -0700, Kristy McKee wrote:
> >IMHO this is beyond ICANN's scope as Bret mentioned ealier:  the IETF is
> >the place for decisions like these to happen; therefore if we do have an
> >opinion I recommend we direct it in their direction.
>
> not even there....
>
> In my opinion, there are 2 different levels:
>
> - Resolving an URL or other identifier that contains a domain name. That
> needs to be done "honestly", in that the result of the resolution is what
> the owner of the domain name expected to happen when the resolution was
> attempted in that context.

  Agreed.  However there are several different context's now Harald.

> The reason for the recent lawsuit in Korea was that someone was "hijacking"
> the (embedded-in-browser) hostname "search.microsoft.com", causing it to
> resolve to something not sanctioned by the name owner.

  Name owner?  Excuse me?  Hell, I thought that no one could "Own" a
Domain Name Harald?  Or did I miss something here???  I believe
you mean current registrant, don't you?  >;)

> Eugene Kashpureff was jailed for the same type of reason.

  Untrue.  Eugene was jailed for directly hijacking a resolution, and
decidedly NOT from a browser....   Again, apples and potatoes...

> - Presenting an input field to the user, receiving input from the user, and
> translating that into something that the user expects.
> Here we delve into the realm of user interface, something well beyond the
> control of ICANN policy pronouncements, and well beyond the realm of "one
> size fits all".

  Exactly.

> I have yet to see a browser user interface that directs me to something
> other than the URL in question when I type "http://www.alvestrand.no/" or
> equivalent; however, typing "alvestrand" in my 2 installed browsers
> provides different results (one a guessed hostname, the other a search result).
>
> I think this particular community, which concentrates on ICANN and the
> domain name system, needs to focus on the first one.

  Exactly.  However this is now a mixed bag as a result of the ICANN
BoD's decisions in MDR.

> The IETF, being a technical protocol standardization community, can
> reasonably focus on mechanisms to support functions like those mentioned in
> the second group (such as the recently completed CNRP keywords protocol
> specification). But restricting user interfaces is beyond the scope of the
> IETF.
>
> (BTW, the opt-out for URL-field searching in IE 5 is Tools/Internet
> Options/Advanced/Search from the Address Bar/When Searching/Do not search
> from the address bar)
>

> --
> This message was passed to you via the ga-roots@dnso.org list.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827