[ga-org]

Re: [ga-org] First Ten Policy Questions

	I agree with Harald that keeping .org as an open TLD looks like the best
approach.  Kicking out existing registrants seems untenable and
undesirable; and given that, I'm not sure I see much advantage in trying to
limit future registrations.  I'm told that there was a period of time after
.com started to fill, but before commercial enterprises started routinely
duplicating registrations, when many businesses, especially small
businesses, registered in .org.  So we're stuck with an .org that has
different sorts of registrants in it, some noncommercial, some not.  If
there is to be a TLD for the noncommercial community, it seems to me to
make more sense to start one from scratch, without grandfathered
registrants (notwithstanding Alexander's point that doing so will require
waiting for a future round of TLDs).  If ICANN decides to look favorably on
the creation of a new TLD for this purpose, it wouldn't be difficult to
devise procedures that would attract proposals and reduce
application-associated costs.

	On the tilted UDRP, I'm not sure I completely understand what's being
proposed.  One possibility is to allow a non-profit to use a UDRP-like
procedure to oust a registrant simply on the ground that it is for-profit
(like .biz, but in reverse).  This doesn't strike me as a great idea; it's
just a particular mechanism for enforcing the general registration rule
that registrants can't be for-profit, and I don't see the advantage in
trying to do that at this point.  Another possibility might be that the
UDRP works exactly as it does elsewhere, *except* that for-profits are
categorically barred from invoking the UDRP against non-profits.  That
would give some additional protection to the proprietors of
mcdonaldssucks.org, so long as the site was devoted to bona fide
(noncommercial) criticism of McDonalds, and didn't simply represent a
(commercial) attempt to get McDonalds to buy it out.  OTOH, it would
introduce the mess of *defining* non-profits or noncommercials or whoever
the favored class is (and it might make it less likely that ICANN would
create a *real* noncommercial TLD down the road).

	I like the idea of discouraging duplication (in general), but I have one
cautionary story to tell about .com and .org duplication:  A friend started
the Women on Waves Foundation, a Netherlands-based nonprofit that offers
reproductive-rights information and services, and registered
<womenonwaves.org>.  An unrelated entity then registered <womenonwaves.com>
-- so as to get people looking for the .org site whose fingers reflexively
typed ".com" after everything -- and pointed it to pages operated by the
Operation Rescue organization inveighing against abortion and displaying
pictures of purported late-term abortions.  The foundation successfully
UDRP'ed the .com name, so now they have both. How should any nonduplication
policy affect them?

Jon

Jonathan Weinberg
weinberg@msen.com