[ga-org]

Re: [ga-org] First Ten Policy Questions

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 10:55:56PM +0200, Thomas Roessler wrote:
[...]
> Now, instead of introducing a difficult, complex and expensive
> policy to define who may qualify for .org and who may not do so, I'd
> suggest to think about a dispute resolution policy which makes it
> unfavorable for for-profit organizations.  Instead of checking a
> policy for every registrant, just check it in the case of dispute.

This general technique for enforcing charters has been suggested many
times, for literally years.  See, for example, the discussion of
chartered TLDs on the PAB list, archived at
http://joy.songbird.com/pab/mail/.  In
http://joy.songbird.com/pab/mail/0792.html there is a sample charter for
the proposed ".shop" TLD; the charter was enforced through the dispute
resolution scheme du jour:

    3.  In any dispute as to the registration of a particular name, the
    registrar shall have no role or responsibility, other than to
    provide the contact information for all parties, and abide by the
    results of the appeals process.  Appeals are taken by following the
    current process designated by the gTLD-MoU -- the Administrative
    Domain Name Challenge Panels.

Even though this basic model has been in the public domain for
literally years, we still get the same flak that charters will never
work because they will be too expensive to enforce...

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
This message was passed to you via the ga-org@dnso.org list.