[ga-org]

Re: [ga-org] Starting Point for Policy Discussions

Danny and all,

  Excuse me but I have to ask/wonder about point #5.  How does the ICANN
staff (Tiny as it is) know what would be adequate or proper determine
"the applicant has a thorough understanding of what is involved, has carefully
thought
through all relevant issues, has realistically assessed the business,
financial, technical, operational, and marketing requirements for
implementing the proposal"?  None of the ICANN staff have any background
that is demonstrated or even known that would lend any rational person
to come to the conclusion that they could make such a determination...

Danny Younger wrote:

> The comments cited below were all rather quickly taken from assorted
> background documents (some comments were edited) and do not necessarily
> reflect any of my views; rather, they are solely intended to promote
> discussion in a manner that might lead to establishing consensus.  Each
> remark is numbered to better facilitate dialogue.  Most of the discussion
> points were raised in the context of evaluating registry proposals for new
> TLDs, but policy implications for .org abound throughout these statements.
>
> We only have three weeks left within which to submit our comments to the
> names Council.  Hopefully this might serve to speed up our deliberations...
>
> 1. A Starting Point for Discussions on Policy Recommendations for the .org
> TLD
> 2. Policy issues:
>
> Designation or establishment of an appropriate entity -- whether to select
> an existing entity to succeed VeriSign as responsible for operation of the
> .org TLD, or to establish a new entity.
> 3. To apply to sponsor or operate a TLD, one must submit a detailed,
> multi-part proposal accompanied by extensive supporting documentation. The
> effort and cost of preparing a sufficient proposal should not be
> underestimated. The proposal must be based on a thoroughly formulated plan
> for the establishment and viable long-term operation of the TLD. The
> application should clearly and effectively describe the plan, show that the
> necessary resources have been arranged (or that firm commitments have been
> obtained) to implement the plan, and demonstrate that the proposal would be
> superior to others.
> 4. Successful proposals will effectively address complex technical,
> financial, business, and legal problems presented by operation of a TLD.
> Those who are planning to apply are strongly urged to secure now the
> professional assistance of technical experts, financial and management
> consultants, and lawyers to assist in formulation of their proposals and
> preparation of their applications.
> 5. The ICANN staff intends to place significant emphasis on the completeness
> of the proposals and the extent to which they demonstrate that the applicant
> has a thorough understanding of what is involved, has carefully thought
> through all relevant issues, has realistically assessed the business,
> financial, technical, operational, and marketing requirements for
> implementing the proposal, has procured firm commitments for all necessary
> resources, and has formulated sound business and technical plans for
> executing the proposal.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827

This message was passed to you via the ga-org@dnso.org list.