[ga-nominations]

[ga-nominations] Re: Request for statement of acceptance

   1a. Full name of the nominee:
Roberto Gaetano

   1b. E-mail address of the nominee:
roberto_gaetano@hotmail.com

   1c. Background information about the nominee:
I have more than 25 years of experience in Information Technology and
Telecommunications, with a major focus on software development.
I worked for different types of organizations, including private companies,
multinationals, governmental agencies, and other institutions.
I have wide international experience, having worked and lived in different
countries, often in multicultural environments. As a consequence, I am able
to communicate and to conduct business in Italian, English, French, Spanish
and German.
At present, I am responsible for a multicultural Software Development team
in an international organization that is part of the UN system in Vienna,
Austria.

My involvment in Internet policy issues dates from my earlier employment
with an Europe-based international institute with focus on Telecom, for
which I was serving as Internet Policy Advisor.
In that capacity I participated in the current debate in different fora,
including IETF, gTLD-MoU, IFWP. I also participated in the European forum
for ICANN AtLarge Membership.
Former member of the Executive Committee of CORE.
Former elected representative of CORE in POC.
Former Chairman of the General Assembly of the DNSO.

At present, I am participating only as an individual.

   1d. Statement of the nominee's objectives in the role as GA delegate to
the NC Review TF:
My objective is to bring forward the voice of the General Assembly members
in the Task Force, with a particular attention to the instances not
otherwise present in the Task Force, i.e. the individuals not part of the
Constituency system.
Although I have my own ideas about the points to be addressed by the Task
Force (see below), I will convey the consensus of the GA rather than my own
opinion, as I have done as a Chairman of the GA.
About the specific items:

6.3 GA Chair
I am in favour of a direct election of the GA Chair by the General Assembly,
and specifically with a vote by all members of the Voting Registry.
6.4 Individuals Constituency
I believe there is a need for a Constituency for Individuals.
Whether membership has to be restricted to Domain Name holders, or open to
users of the Domain Name System, is open to debate (for the record, I am in
favour of the the latter option).
6.5 Language Diversity
The attention to language diversity is a must in an organization that is
multicultural and geographically diverse as the DNSO, as the current
monolinguism is a potential limitation to participation. It is possible to
find solutions to this problem that are cost-effective, we just have to find
the best way.
6.6 Consensus
The main problem, IMHO, is not the numeric definition of consensus, but the
engagement of the NC to foster consensus rather than to count votes.
This implies attention to the definition of the processes, rather than
effort to lay down a mathematical formula.

Best regards
Roberto